February 05, 2007

Huddle Up

I don't know if the wind is just blowing the snow out from under my feet or if I'm actually being blown sideways. Through all the layers I've got on the icy air manages to drive through the weave with needlepoint precision, numbing and burning my skin at the same time. I'm floundering through the drifts, alternating between exposed patches of grass and deeper, ankle grabbing fluff which at the very least covers up the mucky, frozen manure underneath.

On one of the coldest and windiest days of the year so far, I'm outside but not trying to be one with nature. My eyes moisten from the constant wind and I watch fascinated as the frost builds up thicker on my eyelashes with every step. The boogies have long stopped running and now they've become frozen crispies slowly closing up my nostrils. It's that friggin' cold. In my mind I'm thinking holy shit it's cold. Who came up with this idea anyway? I've seen cows and cats before, I must be out of my mind to be doing this.

We were up in Dufferin Region having a long-delayed family Christmas lunch. It was great seeing everyone and catching up. It was not so great to make the trek to the two barns out back, first to check out the new barn kittens and second to see the new calves. The cats decided they didn't feel like company so off we headed to the big barn. This was the painful trek where one thought of survival and death on the Chilkoot Trail, and the insanity of leaving a warm, insulated house in the first place.

The calves were cute, some were only a few days old and wobbled around on their arthritic-looking legs inside the barn. A few cows dropped cow patties which temporarily added some warmth to the air and reminded me that my nose wasn't completely frozen yet. You're going to think this is gross but I actually like the smell of manure. It smells of country, fresh outdoor air, summer, nature and life. There aren't many things that are natural anymore, but poo is and to me there's a certain sense of escape when the manure bouquet hits my senses.

We lingered in the barn and talked, perhaps for longer than anyone actually cared to but nobody was eager to be the first to step back outside into the stinging winds. Barns are not enclosed structures so it was still super cold in there, but with three walls at least there was protection against the winds and the heat from the cows definitely helped. When we finally decided to leave the bovine sanctuary let me tell you, the return trip was just as painful. Next time they ask if I want to see the livestock I may have to gauge my sanity before making any stupid decisions.

No comments: