June 04, 2007

Garden's In

It's been a busy weekend but Mr. Stinky and I made time to put in our garden for this year. He did most of the sweaty yardwork, mowing, edging as well as washing the car and front of the house. A little elbow grease goes a long way. We picked up a few flats with different types of annuals, nothing crazy fancy... I prefer the hardier types that don't require too much fussing about.

I did the weeding, put down bone meal and pruned the overgrowth to make room for my annuals. I wish perennials were showier for longer periods of time. Alas they're not but I like that they're super low-maintenance and will keep growing no matter how much you deadhead, prune or mutilate them. Well, except for the rose bushes, those got some extra TLC. My tulips may be reproducing, they seem to be more dense this year. I've given up on my daffodils and crocuses, my feeling is that they got dug up and eaten coz there were no traces of them this spring. Oh well. I think next year once things settle down a little bit we'll start a little vegetable garden. My thumb is getting greener every season!

My garden toad also made his return, or at least I think it's the same one. I had one last year too and would see him occasionally, this year he's bigger. I named him Doody coz of his cappuccino colouring and the fact that he looks like a pile of turd. Hopefully he likes what I've done this year, I left plenty of shady spots for him to lounge under. I love working on my yard, things look so much neater and nicer once you've spent some time on it. Besides, Mr. Stinky and I work well together it's a great way to just hang out. I'll let you see how the yard looks once things fill out. Who'da ever thunk I'd like gardening??

No comments: