March 08, 2006

Canine Dreams

In once upon a time land I could afford all the stuff I fancied, like a house in the boons with a ton of acreage and all the dogs I've ever wanted. I love large and giant breeds, and would love having a doggy ranch with monsters running around. My preferred breeds are from the Mastiff group. These are solidly built dogs with heavy bones, pendant ears, short and well-muscled necks and a short muzzle. They are also magnificent droolers, not a quality many people like but I suppose if I'm out in the country I could use them to water my fields.

My favourite, Dogue de Bordeaux:
Look at the wrinkles! Look at the chest! What a beefy boy, huh? And so red. I love this dog.












At a close second is the Great Dane (like Marmaduke):
I used to work at a shelter where an elderly dane resided. He loved to be with people and was super affectionate. I've been crushed numerous times between 'Andy' and the wall because that was how he cuddled. Sometimes he'd step on your foot and not realize it even though tears are streaming down your face, he just wanted to be touching you. He was a gentle giant who would sit on your lap if he could figure out how to make himself fit.

I'm also big fans of the Irish Wolfhound, Bullmastif, Great Pyrenees, Olde English Sheepdog and English Bulldog:

Heee... look at the tongue! That pillow is going to be soaked!

Sigh... so many breeds... the Wolfhound and the Sheepdog aren't from the same group as the rest. Do you remember the Mr. Muggs readers in elementary school? Eeeee!!

We wouldn't be able to afford all these dogs if we weren't filthy, stinkin' rich because large and giant breeds tend to have health problems due to their sheer size and weight. They don't live as long as smaller dogs either so they're definitely not animals that come by cheap.


If I win the lottery and you come visit my palatial digs in the countryside I hope you're not scared of large dogs, or dogs for that matter. I might just sit on my porch to watch you figure out how to get from the car to the inside of my house without being swarmed and licked... just for hell of it. ;0)

And drool. Can't forget the drool.

2 comments:

MagicalCoffeeCup said...

I love the old english sheep dog too!

Common though..give small (doxies) a chance!!

Stinky T said...

Yah, I like wiener dogs... I bet the Bordeaux would shit logs that'd be bigger than a dachshund though! LOL!!