June 18, 2006

Green Thumb

My gardening journey began last year, the first year we were in the house and my first blank, brown canvas with which to work. The very first thing we planted was our globe maple. It was just a seedling taken from Mr. Stinky's parents' backyard so it wasn't any old, random tree. It survived the scorching summer and searing cold winter and this year it's become a mini globe maple. I'm very happy to report that our little sapling is on its way to tree adulthood, barring any mishaps.

In the front I put in the easy stuff as it was my first time. Impatiens, pansies, a purple coneflower which has still yet to flower... it's a perennial so maybe it needs more time and dahlias. I watered, weeded, fertilized and babied my garden until I had the best one on the street. That is, until the family down the road moved in and that woman is a fabulous gardener. Curses to her Eden of bountiful flora which makes me glow with envy and examine it closely everytime I walk by!

This year I've got in about the same but I'm also diversifying. I've got in marigolds as well, they are severely underrated for their beauty and colour. The orange just glows like little suns... just don't let me catch that bunny who damaged a bunch of them... I'll make rabbit stew outta you! I'm learning about roses too, after careful research into how to care, feed, breeds and such I decided to go to the local nursery and pick up some hybrid tea roses. I've planted 3 shrubs this spring . They are hardy, with beautiful blooms and are a good choice especially for a rose novice such as me. In the front I currently have a Las Vegas, a Lions International and in the backyard a Morden Centennial and I'm also proud to say they are all doing very well.

I've been waiting rather impatiently for them to bloom as looking at a picture of what my roses are supposed to look like just isn't the same. And now I'd like to present to you my very first blossoms:

Las Vegas













Lions International













Please ignore the imperfections on the Lions International rose (yellow).... I wasn't quite so dilligent with the aphids as I should have been and they had a feast on the bud before it bloomed. Rest assured I have since been on guarded duty squishing the critters as soon as I see them with my fingers. Aphids and rose slugs are amongst the easiest pests to kill! So if you're feeling a little down, I hope my pretty flowers help cheer you up coz I sure was happy when I ran out the front door this morning in my jammies just to see them!

2 comments:

MagicalCoffeeCup said...

Hehe, I can just see you running out in your jammies just to see how they were; like a kid on Christmas morning!

You'll show that family just the street...actually; it seems like you already have!

Thanks...made my tummy queasiness subside a bit :)

The Shuster said...

I like the Lions International flowers, and that says a lot because I generally don't like flowers.

Let me know when you do have the rabbit stew, I like rabbit.