November 30, 2007

Christmas Shopping

'Tis the season I dread it every year.  Not because I'm a scrooge but because inevitably all the shopping hours and efforts focus on me.  That's right, I gift myself so many more times over than everyone else on my shopping list and at the end of the day that's OK.  Who doesn't like new and pretty things, especially when it's exactly what they want?  You so know I'm right.
I think sometime after a few years of adulthood most of us realize that every year is about the same.  Your friend can only use so many scarves, mom doesn't really want another set of flannel PJs because she hasn't even opened up the other four sets you had surprised her with in the previous years.  And honestly, when people ask what you want for Christmas you're not thinking a sweater or that new set of candlesticks.  What you're thinking as the words "sweater", "I don't need anything", or "the pool boy" fall from your lying lips (Santa knows!) are more to the tune of "pay off my house/car/yacht/illegal mail-order "house boy"", "a huge-mongous pile of money to swim in a la Scrooge McDuck" or something completely insane.  But it's what you really want, right?  In the end, who am I to turn down presents no matter how much at the bottom of my wish list they may be?

The problem is when I make my way to the stores to buy for other people.  Because it's so difficult to remain creative for others, my attention always manage to fall upon the familiar which of course is the stuff I like and want.  Before you know it, I'm leaving the mall at the end of a long shopping day with a ton of bags all filled with goodies for yours truly.  Incredibly fulfilling.  Until the credit card bill comes.  Even more frustrating just because I know that list I was supposed to be working on is still fresh and crisp, having never even been looked at.

One year Emma and I spent the day at the mall "buying stuff for other people".  We couldn't decide what to get each other while satisfying the criteria being A)affordable, B)the other person would like it and C)keeping it a surprise.  Of course C is just asinine since in order to get someone something they like you have to ask what it is that they want and come Christmas Day when they open up their present from you and it's exactly what they had asked for it really isn't a surprise.  Anyway, we just decided that if we should see something we liked or wanted we'd just buy it for ourselves and say it was from the other person.  All of a sudden, shopping for each other was so much easier.  Too bad you can't really do that with everyone else.

So yah, I unexpectedly had access to a car a few days ago and grandma was home for the day.  The Fusspot was left with her and I sang all the way to the mall.  After several hours of looking in all the wrong stores I came home with a few things for myself (there was a lot of self-control exercised) and nothing for anybody else.  What a waste of a shopping trip considering I rarely get such freedom nowadays.  I am so disappointed in myself.

Well, not really since I got presents but I should wallow in some guilt for a little while for the good of mankind.  I hear it builds character or something anyway... 

1 comment:

The Shuster said...

Online shopping is just as dangerous too, although more enjoyable perhaps because you can do it naked!