August 28, 2005

Is the Love Gone?

I LOVE MY BBQ.

I just want to establish that fact. As a red-blooded Canadian (no hyphens for me, thank you), I love my BBQ. It's a 365-day appliance and sits a mere two feet from our house, just on the other side of the sliding doors. We have two tanks on the go, no more half-cooked dinner fiascos! We give it attention every few days, clean the grills with every use... by the way, cast iron grills are the way to go! Purchase cost is a little more, but they really are the shiznit.

So yah, recently it came to light that maybe I'm getting a little barbeque worn. It seems we cook on it so often I'm looking forward to non-barbequed foods more. We had company this weekend and they brought steaks. While the steaks were really good and I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated them, they weren't special. As in, I have steaks so often I could actually go without for awhile.

For most people who don't barbeque as much and year-round as we do, including our friends who brought the steaks, this is a meal to look forward to. Listen to it sizzle, smell the beef, watch it grill, taste the moo-tastic-ness. Nothing says summer like throwing the meat on the BBQ and cracking open a beer... if your BBQ is a summer appliance. But you know, it's hard to beat the smell of the grill in the middle of winter when it's quiet outside, a blanket of snow on the ground and burgers and dogs (or your food of choice) are ready in 5.

What I'm trying to get at is that although I do love to BBQ, it's just another everyday way to make a meal. It's getting a little cooler, I think it's about time I can safely use my oven and slow cooker again without overheating the house. Who doesn't like to walk in the front door and smell a roast, lasagne or TURKEY cooking?

No comments: